Mars Metal specializes in the production of sheet lead, lead lined plywood, and lead lined drywall in Canada for a variety of industries worldwide. These industries include nuclear, marine, construction, engineering, aerospace, mining, industrial manufacturing, defence & security as well institutions, educational and government bodies. Our capabilities include pattern making, mold manufacturing, metal fabrication, welding, surface finishing, priming, and painting to deliver tailored solutions. Explore our sheet lead and lead lined plywood and drywall materials below.
Mars Metal Sheet Lead
Mars Metal offers sheet lead as laminated panels, adhesive bonded to such materials as plywood, gypsum board, and other supporting materials used in industrial applications and other applications. Since sheet lead has very little inherent structural strength, most applications require that the sheet lead be supported in some fashion, or that the sheet lead be laminated to provide a more rigid building material. Our high-quality sheet lead is manufactured from pure lead conforming to ASTM B-29, B-749 and Federal QQ-L-201F, QQ-L-171E.
We accept Sheet Lead orders for a minimum of $500 from commercial accounts to be used in industrial, construction, nuclear, medical, veterinary, scientific research, military, national defence, and other applications. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details on stocking programs for qualified customers.
We have over 70 tons of sheet lead in stock in various sizes that are available for quick turnaround at our warehouse, with most orders being shipped out the same day.
Now Available: 4 ft x 7ft ROLLS in 1/32″ ( 2lb.) & 1/16″ ( 4 lb.)
Sizes Available for Immediate Shipping:
1/32″ x 48″ x 96″
1/32″ x 48″ x 120″
1/16″ x 48″ x 96″
1/16″ x 48″ x 120″
1/8″ x 48″ x 96″
1/8″ x 48″ x 120″
1/4″ x 48″ x 60″
Mars Metal Sheet Lead Applications:
- Radiation Shielding – Laboratories, Hospitals, Dental Offices and Veterinary Clinics
- Construction – Roofing, Flashing and Waterproofing
- Corrosion Protection – Acid Storage and Handling – Autoclaves – Precipitators
- Movable Lead Screens
- Sound Barriers and Sound Proofing
- Nuclear Energy Shielding
- Tank Lining
- Vibration Absorbers
Mars Metal Lead Lined Drywall
Mars Metal manufactures lead drywall, also called Lead-Lined Sheetrock, Gyproc, Wallboard or Lead-Lined Gypsum Board, which is used to cover surfaces and walls that need to be shielded from radiation. This lead drywall is affixed to the surfaces and walls to create a continuous layer of sheet lead. This type of drywall is most often used in dental offices and health centres as well as new construction or shielding upgrades/renovations for P.E.T and other types of diagnostic imaging rooms.
Mars Metal starts with a piece of sheet lead which meets or exceeds Federal Specifications QQ-L-201F, Grade C, ASTM B-749-03, and Standard Specification for lead and lead alloy strip, sheet, and plate products. The lead sheet is 99.9% or higher pure un-pierced virgin lead, free of dross, oxide inclusions, scale, laminations, blisters, and cracks, and is factory laminated to drywall.
Inquire About Lead Lined Drywall
Lead Lined Drywall Product Details
- All of our leaded drywall product is furnished as type “X” fire code in 1/2″ to 5/8″ thickness with a lead thickness of 1/32″ to 1/8″ maximum thickness.
- The drywall conforms to ASTM C36 and Federal Specifications QQ-L-201 F, GRADE C, ASTM B-29.
- Pure lead sheet meeting Federal Specification QQ-L-201 F, Grade C and ASTM B749-03, Type L51121 is factory laminated under pressure to the back side of the drywall panel.
- Our lead drywall product meets U.S. and Canadian Safety Standards for 1 hour and 2 hour fire-rated partition applications.
- Leaded drywall panels will be greater than, or equal to, the attenuation level specified by a health physicist.
Lead Lined Drywall Thickness & Sizing
- Lead is factory pressure-laminated and adhered to the drywall with permanent adhesive in 48″ widths, equal to the width of the drywall, or in 49″ widths giving the lead a 1″ overlap at the vertical drywall joints.
- Due to the excessive weight, our drywall panels can be customized to smaller widths and lengths to suit most applications.
- 2″ wide batten strips can be supplied to cover all vertical joints where applicable.
- Smaller panels will require more batten strips but the ease of handling these lighter panels will be offset in the extra cost and labour during the installation process.
- Standard drywall panels are available in 48″ widths with 96″ or 120″ lengths.
- Lead Drywall can have lead laminated to the full drywall length or partial length.
- For lead thicknesses that exceed 1/8” please refer to our lead lined plywood.
Mars Metal Lead Lined Plywood
Mars Metal’s plywood is laminated with sheet lead and is designed to cover necessary surfaces or walls, in a room requiring radiation shielding. It is affixed to surfaces or walls ensuring a continuous layer of sheet lead under the plywood to a specified height. It is used in dental offices and health centres as well as new construction or shielding upgrade/renovations for P.E.T and other types of diagnostic imaging rooms and to fill the void between lead-lined drywall and interlocking lead bricks.
Lead Lined Plywood Product Details
- Pure lead sheet meeting Federal Specification QQ-L-201 F, Grade C and ASTM B749-03, Type L51121 is factory laminated under pressure to the plywood panel.
- All our Lead lined plywood is fire rated and encompasses a layer of lead affixed to the surface of fire-retardant plywood conforming to AWPA U/T1-16 Sec H. (fire retardant treatment standards).
Lead Lined Plywood Thickness & Sizing
- Mars Metal’s Lead-Lined Plywood is available in 5/8” to 3/4” in thickness with pure lead sheets of thickness 1/16” to 1/2″ factory laminated to it.
- Lead-laminated to plywood is applied in 48” widths on equal plywood widths up to 96” lengths.
- 2” wide batten strips can be supplied to cover all joints where applicable.
- Lead-lined plywood is typically recommended for heavier lead shielding requirements, usually when the lead shielding exceeds 1/8” thick.
- Lead-lined plywood at these thicknesses becomes very heavy to handle in full sheet form (4’ x 8’). We recommend having us cut the lead-lined plywood into widths that are equal to your on-site stud dimensions (e.g. 12” or 16”). This will make the lead-lined plywood much more manageable for the installer.
Sample Leaded Plywood Weights
- Plywood 5/8” thick with 1/16” thick lead = 5.703 pounds per square foot
- Plywood 5/8” thick with 1/8” thick lead = 9.453 pounds per square foot
- Plywood 5/8” thick with 3/16” thick lead = 13.203 pounds per square foot
- Plywood 5/8” thick with 1/4” thick lead = 16.953 pounds per square foot
- Plywood 5/8” thick with 1/2” thick lead = 31.953 pounds per square foot
- Plywood 3/4” thick with 1/4” thick lead = 505 pounds per square foot
Mars Metal is a Leading Supplier of Sheet Lead & Lead Lined Materials
If you need assistance with sizing or specifications, ordering, or installation for your sheet lead or lead lined materials, contact Mars Metal. We can provide clarification and help you make your order. If you have general questions about your order, visit our order FAQ page for answers.